Saturday, January 8, 2011

Salaam India !

YAY !!!! I reached Delhi on the 8th of January 2011, after over 23 hours of flying across the globe and loss of baggage- frustration galore! Tired, jetlagged , anxious I submitted my missing baggage complaint to the airport folks and stepped outside the Indira Gandhi International Airport , New Delhi. Aaah… there were hundreds of people waiting outside all covered up in multiple layers and that’s when I realized…it was freeezzzzing in Delhi! The smoky odor of the air, continuous honking and people talking(and yelling) nonstop all hit me at once! I walked further out of the airport with whatever baggage I had with me , searching for someone holding my name. A young man came walking towards me with a pluck card saying “ Mr. Aparna , USA”.  I laughed out loud and in my head said “Aparna, welcome to India”.  The man introduced himself as Deepak and was struggling hard to talk to me, as he thought I would speak only English. As soon as I said, I could speak Hindi, it was almost as if he sighed in relief and we boarded my stuff in the car,and headed towards my stay area. On my way, people ( and cows and dogs and cycles and bikes) criss-crossed each other  on highway like none other. Everyone was in a hurry and the honking of cars, buses, rickshaws and motorcycles made me really dizzy! Finally I reached to my apartment. The room was even chillier than the outside, thanks to the marble flooring and lack of heating. Shivering, I entered my room to learn that I would be sharing the space with 2 other girls who would were affiliated with some other non-profit organization, who at that time had gone out to venture Delhi. My local co-coordinator Hema, and her husband Sudarshan welcomed me and talked about nuances to be taken care of. I was also introduced to Ache LaL, who is the cook and helper of our apartment and Sanjay, who is another local co-ordinator of the internship who would be accompanying me to all my visits. Feeling homesick, totally missing mom’s food, and above all my first love- Seattle! But totally excited to see what I would learn in the following weeks. Jai Hind.


          1. Local coordinator Hema Pandey and her family. 


   2. Local cordinator Sanjay Chakraborthy and Me at Alwar, Rajasthan


                 3.  Roomies and Ache Lal.


                                                        4. Roomies and Me (sleepy?? )

No comments:

Post a Comment